Tuesday, August 2, 2011

University of North Carolina at Charlotte Art Studies in Retrospect

I graduated from UNCC in December of 2010.  I was elated to have made it.  I recently took inventory of my pics from some of my past projects and understood why my instructors stressed the importance of taking pictures of your work.  There are some pieces that I was quite proud of and because of storage issues I had to dispose of them.  However, I still have some of my works that bring back wonderful memories of time spent in those three hour studio classes and getting to know my classmates in the process.  I hope you enjoy these pics as much as I have enjoyed creating them.

***********************************************************************************
Fall 2006
 "We love you Van der Zee"
This piece was dedicated to the African American photographer, James Van der Zee, who showed us that there was nothing wrong with Blacks being prosperous and beautiful.
******************************************************************************

This was a Sculpture I project. I learned about site specfic art.  We had to create a box and place it in a public place within context.  I chose to focus on the diamond trade Africa.  I chose wood to look like a shipping crate and created three compartmets to reflect how our actions create a reaction that has caused devestation in this beautiful country.




 We use diamonds as a means to reflect our social status.

 We are so concerned with how we benefit from that status that we just don't care or want to know how it affects others who have sacrificed for our extravagance.

 This represents the lives in Africa, the children, women and men who have to suffer great violence, the destruction of their villags and the land and physical mutilation for our love of diamonds.

I the photos above are taken with the LED lights that I had installed in the box.  The pictures below are taken without the lights.
 



I placed this box beside a jewelry store in a local mall and had people come through and look at it.  Many people that I talked to were touched by the box.  They had no idea that our sisters and brothers were suffering so over this jewel that is often flaunted in our magazines, commercials and videos.
 **********************************************************************************
These pictures are from a combination of Drawing I & II, Figure Drawing and 2-D design 2007-2008






 





***********************************************************************************
Projects from 2009-2010

 "The Destruction of a Decepticon"

This is an unfinished piece from Handbuilding.  I loved this class. 
"Hands", also from Handbuilding

 *********************************************************************************

In the last part of my studies, I found what my passion. It was in my Fibers class and Printmaking.  I thought I would never love anything other than painting, however, I learned that I could incorporate my love of painting with fibers.  This is what I love to do and will be posting more works that include fibers, print and painting.

"Her-story I" - Prinkmaking

"Grandmother Moon" - Paper Mache
This project was inspired when I saw the works of Joyce Scott.

 "Untitled"

I love painting on fabric.  I hand quilted the frame.  When I learned quilting, it was an amazing experience.  My instructor, Mary Tuma, asked me why did I not use the sewing machine? I told her that my grandmother Emma Dunlap, quilted by hand.  I did not know her very well, so I felt that sewing by hand made me feel closer to her.  Later, my mother told me that she eventually purchased a sewing machine.  So, now I am closer to her by my Brother VX-1435!

"Her-Story II"
One of my minor studies was Women's Studies.  I mostly concentrated my research on issues that focused on African American women in history.  I feel so strongly about the importance of black women knowing their place in history and their struggles that I would like to focus my work more on Womanist and Black Feminist perspectives. I have included the images of my daughters, who I spend much of my time passing on what I have learned so that they can be empowered. I have also included images of Laura Nelson, the only image of a lynched black woman.



"Untitled" - Prinkmaking
This is my mother's favorite!



I am deeply interested in Goddess.  I believe in the importance of the study of the religion of our ancestors.  I interviewed artist, Renee Stout, and she shared my sentiments about how our community will love our African history and culture, up to religion.  When it comes to our religion we just stop and shut down any considerations of beliefs other than what is popular.  I was called by Mami Wata to create a few pieces dedicated to her.  She is so intriguing and powerful.  I am getting to know her.  This is just one quality photo of my interpretation.

 "Mami Wata II"


 These are just a few projects that I have.  As I mentioned before, there were some that I could not keep.  I now know what my favorite medium is, fibers and paints.  I know now that I love to sew (something that I one time I thought was too domestic" and dye fabrics.  I have learned many things as a student, however, I have much much more to learn and I am having so much fun as I go. 

I have been offered a artist in resident exhibit by the Women's Studies department at UNCC for thier Domestic Violence exhibit.  I am sooo excited.  I will keep you posted as to the date of the opening. 
**********************************************************************************

2 comments:

Au Naturalebelly said...

i think that you have great and inspiring pieces, thanks for educating the world

~shar

shar said...

i think that you have great and inspiring pieces, thanks for educating the world

~shar